Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The Elephant in the Room

             A man stoops over your bed, with the goal to end your life.  Do you do nothing?  Or do you take action?  Personally, I am infatuated with the second option.  Hand me the bedside candle or nearby blunt object.  I will repeatedly beat that killer with the spirit of a CLUE game board character.  But surprisingly, the old man in the short film “The Tell-Tale Heart” adapted by Darrin Walker and Travis Mays defies basic instinct when he follows the first option.   Staying in his bed like a sissy, the old man let his eventual murderer triumph, not even bothering to move his lazy eye towards the darker section of the room.  His ignorance to save his own life reflects the situational irony present in too many human beings—the desire to believe everything will work out on its own, despite blatant evidence that proves otherwise.   Or, in less erudite terms, people do stupid things to avoid confrontation.  The reason for this tendency has a certain inexplicability.  I assume that people want to choose logic, but they fall victim to expectation.  For example, I can remember an uncomfortable experience during my time as a mathematics teaching assistant.  Every week, I worked with a certified teacher and another assistant my age, instructing a class of eight children or so in the fundamentals of mathematics.  One day, one of the kids in my class scraped his hands against a sharp part of his desk.  Blood started spilling out in globs.   Once again, two options soon emerged.   We could all permit the laceration, and face a potential parental lawsuit.  Or we could all allocate aid to the injury, effectively eliminating the conflict at hand.  Choice B, right?  Cue the characteristic wrong-answer-buzzer-sound.  The students around the injured student continued working.  The teacher, a substitute that day, made surreptitious glances toward the injured student, apparently absorbed in the attendance list.  My fellow teaching assistant looked ready to spew projectile vomit.  I sighed.  In a matter of a few minutes, I gathered a first-aid kit, constructed basic bandaging, and solved the medical problem.   Really, not that big of a deal.  So why the struggle of so many individuals to do something about the bleeding student?   The answer lies in the hope that someone else will come to the rescue, or diffusion of responsibility.  The world must understand that assumptions can never fully equate to the truth.  As a person blessed with the gift of realism, I offer the following advice.  If someone attempts to kill you, do your best to stop him and her.  If a young kid gets a cut, hand him or her a band-aid to prevent death by blood loss.  And if any of these scenarios confuse you, larger internal issues need scrutiny.   Simple as that. 

3 comments:

  1. While I agree with your conclusion and purpose, I disagree with the connection between the book and life as well as the existence of such a position within the "Tell-Tale Heart." Poe directly characterizes the Old Man as just that, old, and unable to defend himself. Due to his helplessness and inability to do otherwise, I fail to see an assertion that people purposely avoid conflict.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with Alex that many people do avoid conflict because I am one of them. Of course I would attempt to save my own life but in almost any other situation I ignore or dodge conflict at all costs. I just do not find the interest in debate that Gabe does, I mean why create a commotion when we can avoid it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a full-time lifeguard in the summers, I have no choice but to ready myself for potential injury. Anyway, the pool director does not pay me to simply sit in a chair, blow my whistle, and get hideous one piece tan lines. Luckily we live in Chagrin, and I work at the Rec Center, where the worst injury of the past few years involves a member of the staff zipping her eyelid into her jacket. But for this job, everything centers around mindset- whether or not I will ever actually enter the pool on a save, my job requires that I look for people in need and prepare to help. If everyone took on this attitude of responsibility all the time, I believe the world would end up a much safer, happier place.

    ReplyDelete