Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Spaghetti and Meatbrawls: A King Family Specialty

          Tonight’s family dinner followed the normal routine—small talk followed by silence followed by heated debate.  Let me briefly explain.  While observers of the King clan may not call us cohesive, the word “intriguing” frequently emerges.   Unlike the typical family, mine does not share much similarity.  A good descriptor for my family?   Contradictory.  We all look different.  We act differently.  But because of this variance, others take interest in my family life.  Although I do not personally see it, my friends describe interactions among my family members as entertaining, like watching the show “Untamed and Uncut” on Animal Planet.  Evidently, some type of enjoyment must come from watching incongruous organisms interact with one other.  By now, I am sure I have illustrated the difficulty my family faces in finding common ground. Anyways, back to the dinner.  This particular night, my younger sister shattered the silence.  She brought up Barbara Walters’ special on the most fascinating people of 2012.  Naturally, everyone in my family had something to say.  The fighting match had started.  Round One:  Younger sister versus elder brother. My younger sister went on to talk about One Direction, the saccharine boy band, and their rise to fame.  “They really deserve the media attention,” proclaimed the obsessive fan.  I countered with the fact they produce one-dimensional, formulaic music.  Think Beach Boys, Backstreet Boys, ‘N Sync, the Jonas Brothers.  Most fascinating?  More like mass-produced.  Round two:  Mother versus father.  The former opened with a passionate speech about the young Gabby Douglas, a gold medalist at the London Olympics.  Her sparkling personality, combined with her stunning athleticism, deserved recognition.  In response, my father mentioned E.L. James, author of the erotic book series Fifty Shades of Grey…too awkward, Dad.  Round three:  Mother versus son.  Trying to keep her momentum, my mother pushed the Cinderella story of Gabby, how she overcame poverty to earn international acclaim.  Put off by this solid logic, I knew my refutation needed creativity.  I stated that none of the invited guests on Barbara Walters’ show deserve the title of “Most Fascinating.”  The selection process reflects appearance on television and news print, rather than impact or uniqueness.  My mother’s face wilted—a knock-out blow.  I had won this round.   Sweating and panting from the oratorical altercation, my family all gleamed red with exhaustion.  Just your typical Wednesday night.   Reflecting on this nightly cycle of debate, however weird, I find a diamond in the rough.  Because of my family, I have become accustomed to disagreement, dissimilarity, and discord.  This learned familiarity proves advantageous in the AP English classroom.  Sitting in my desk, I am sitting at the dinner table.  Whenever discussion escalates to argumentation, or someone provides a strange view on an essay prompt, or even when an awkward silence pervades the room, I feel as though I am in my element.  I feel at home.

5 comments:

  1. For starters, I really enjoyed this blog! Though, I know you will disapprove of this assessment, but you look and act very similarly to your dad Alex. On another note, my family had the same discussion at the dinner table last night. My mother had asked us who we thought deserved "Most Fascinating Person of 2012." My dad and I felt the crazy killer from Colorado earned the title. My mother felt that the young Pakistani girl who stood up for woman's right should win. To my family's dismay, none of our predictions came true. Instead, the over-exposed cheater Petraeus won...what's wrong with America?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family always comes off as the "typical American family" (two happily married parents, three relatively smart kids, and a couple of pets); however, like your family, mine disagrees on just about everything—besides politics. One can frequently hear my brother and I bickering and my mother and I's major disagreements on various subject (wow, I sound like the problem), so I too feel at home in the discussion circle. Sadly though, I do not think abruptly cutting in on someone’s point, like I do at home, during class in an angry, disagreeing tone would get me very far in the eye of my peers and Ms. Serensky, but then again, that has yet to stop me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also really liked reading this blog, mostly because both you and your sister, Emily, now compete in Public Forum debate so I see you two interacting and arguing on a regular basis. After getting to know Emily, I have to say that you both act very similar although you may not want to admit it. However, every time one of you makes a comment, the other one immediately must disagree. I think siblings tend to argue so much because people want to differentiate themselves from their family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alex, I too enjoyed your humorous blog, and I liked reading about the roots of your argumentative nature. Since you often compare the atmosphere of my "cheery" home to that of your own, I took a particular interest in this anecdote and the insight it gave into a King bonding ritual; I assure you, you could find some similar dischord at the Clemens' if you tried. And although I very much admire your skills in debate, I now feel a bit relieved that I have never had to face you during a graded English discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alex, I can definitely sympathize with you and your argumentative family. For me though, it does not end at my immediate family, the debates grow even larger and more heated at large extended family gatherings. Every Christmas we have a large debate on who we believe will be Time Magazine's 'Person of the Year.' This topic can continue on for hours, and any hope of the conversation ending disappears if anyone brings up politics.

    ReplyDelete