Wednesday, February 6, 2013

My Daily Pi


Pacing back and forth, I glance at the dining room table. Stacks of large volumes of text lay scattered on its surface.  Peering at one of the open pages, my eyes take in the haunting image of thousands of characters and symbols.  I know that I need to do this.  The time has come to begin my math homework—a three step process.  First, I pull out the calculator from my pencil pouch.   Before I can actually use the gadget’s software, I have to solve a series of twelve mathematical algorithms on the calculator.  If I do not complete these twelve problems within five minutes, a chip embedded in the calculator’s computing system automatically explodes.  From personal experience, a few of my friends unfortunately bit the dust due to slow reaction times.  The Chagrin Falls Math Department describes this pruning process as “natural selection.”  Second, I select a specially crafted mathematics pencil.  The eraser tip of the pencil has a coating of sulfuric acid.    Erasing errors on paper scorches the skin, which teaches the user to never make written mistakes.  Truly, no other mode of learning works more effectively than classical conditioning.  Third, I start solving the assigned 1,000 problems, which span over 16 textbooks written in four languages, including Swahili.  The first 500 questions inquire the basics: differential equations, integration, and world hunger.  After problem 500, things get a bit dicey.  The subject matter shifts to astrophysics.   Questions range from “How many stars exist in the sky?” to “Determine the flight path of Earth in 168 years.”  To reduce the incidence of mistakes, for every wrong answer, a random bone in the body breaks.  Luckily, the human skeletal system has 206 bones.  I can usually endure ten wrong problems before I have to go to the hospital.  If I am lucky, I finish within the 12 hour limit.   If not, I lose the privilege to see my family for two months.  Isolation from relatives reinforces work ethic and the cost of failure.  After a routine night of math homework, I will then treat any chemical or physical damage.  Optimally, I sustain the ability to walk and move my facial muscles.  After I put away my math binder, I assemble a machete and a pair of nunchucks for the more difficult task ahead.  English homework. 
 

3 comments:

  1. I very much enjoyed this post, Alex. I imagine that everyone in AP English can relate to the nightly stress of grueling amounts of homework and will thoroughly appreciate the creativity of your extreme experience. Sometimes I too feel as though my teachers have given me textbooks written in Swahili. And although I commend you for your bravery in the face of math homework, I suggest that next time you use Calc Chat and save yourself a few limbs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately for me, Alex, I literally feel you pain when completing calculus assignments. As a struggling BC student, I count myself lucky to have some of my appendages and visceral organs remaining. I also consider myself lucky because my mistakes in math tend to have small effects, such as misplacing a negative sign. I have noticed that this mistake usually just results in a dislocated pinky finger or middle toe, a pain which I have become used to, at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too can completely relate to these feelings of impending doom; after three years of struggling to understand anything at all in my math courses, I decided not to take math anymore. This year, I truly learned to value myself as a quitter. Hopefully, you can survive these last months of calculus without too much injury.

    ReplyDelete