Wednesday, May 1, 2013

AP English 13

         Gritting my teeth, I manage to finish the essay in record time.  Even though my hand throbs with biting pain after having to write pages of analysis, a wide smile still encroaches my face as I realize I just finished my last writing assignment in AP English class.  What a wonderful day!  After years of grueling effort and exertion, graduation day from high school, or more accurately, graduation day from AP English, stands only a day away.  Tears of happiness begin to swell in my eyes.  I love my lif—
          BOOM!  A large flash of light expands across the classroom.  Complete darkness follows, along with rampant screams of terror.  What could possibly…the snowstorm!  My feelings of prior jubilance soon melt into a puddle of depression.  The latest crescendo of wind outside must have knocked down the local power lines.  In the blackness, panic became almost palpable.
          “It seems the power has gone out.” All eyes turn toward the front classroom, revealing Ms. Serensky at her desk, a flashlight shining on her face—reminiscent to that of an adult telling a scary story at a campfire.  After a moment of silence, she proceeds to the classroom door and tries to open it, but fails.  “That latest bout of wind also seems to have caused part of this school’s infrastructure to collapse.  Or in layman’s terms, we’re trapped in here.”
          Gasps of fear erupt throughout the room.  I hear a person next to me begin to sob.  “Your lives are in my hands.  I am the king of this island now,” continues Ms. Serensky.  She shines the flashlight on the classroom closet.  “Exit, pursued by a bear.” 
          Antigonus jumps from the closet space, with a large ferocious mammal right behind him.  “Please, no!  Don’t do this Ms. Serensky! God help me,” bellows Antigonus.  Panting with dread, Antigonus tries to make run for the line of windows.  However, the large grizzly bear beats him to it and mauls the poor man’s body apart, limb by limb.  Blood splatters across the nearest row of students.  The fervent cries of Antigonus, once loud and powerful, soon fade to silence.
            “As you all can see, this is what happens if any of you betray me.”  Solemnly, Ms. Serensky scans the classroom, shining her light on everyone’s faces.  The bear meanders its way to her, and she pets the animal’s bloody, mangled hair.  “Let the games begin.”

9 comments:

  1. I finished your post Alex, and literally thought to myself "What... ?" The pacing started quickly and drastically changed from a joyous occasion to a Lord of the Flies/ Hunger Games negative tone as Ms. Serensky uses a bear to antagonize her students. I do not mean to criticize your post; I enjoy a moment of clueless surprise from every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One word: wonderful. I found the juxtaposing humor and fear a very interesting literary devices throughout the piece. Though, I think my favorite part of the blog stems from the final line. As a Hunger Games junkie, I occasionally dabble with the idea of a Chagrin Falls Hunger Games. In fact, MJ and I actually wrote a story about our first semester Calculus class in the Hunger Games. I will not spoil the winner but I will say you most likely would not guess the person! Overall, nice work Al!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post about Ms. Serensky's dark side. I can almost hear her laugh bellow across the room and see the diabolical look in her eye if you stood to betray her. So, I advise that you receive a passing grade on the AP English 12 test or you will consequently find yourself torn apart by a souless mammal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed your creativity in this blog. The sudden change that occurs at the end of the first paragraph and beginning of second paragraph grabbed my attention immediately. After reading this, I could not help but envision myself in this scenario and I think I would like it. I have always wanted something erroneous to happen in class of this stature. You definitely made your last blog a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed this blog! I especially liked that last line because it creates suspense as to how the students may escape Ms. Serensky's cluthches.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed your dark sense of humor in this blog, Alex. The hyperbolic way in which you portray Ms.Serensky's need for control makes this an enjoyable if not disturbing read. I especially like the part where she challenges her students to a so called game in which everyone knows that she will always come out victorious. It struck me as very Hunger Games esque as the government keeps their people in line through fear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alex, I enjoyed this post. It made me recall our adventure in Sans where we decided whether or not to make the scene with the bear humorous or scary within our own interpretations. I find it interesting that you chose to make Ms. Serensky's take so dark. Yet, it contains much dark humor as well, which I find a fitting combination for our class atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When Ms. Serensky revealed to us that the exeunt pursued by a bear stage directions opened up the second act to humor, I thought differently of her. Personally, the directions have always given me terror and this post just confirmed my fears.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed this post and found myself laughing aloud numerous times. I adore your incorporation of "Exit, pursues by beat" and cracked up at the image of Ms. Serensky shining a flashlight onto her face. Awesome work!

    ReplyDelete