Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Standing Still

          Life has many milestones—specific marks of achievement spread both structurally and sporadically throughout a lifetime.  Some milestones lay in conspicuous plain sight, waiting for that specific time of grandeur to arrive.  Other milestones occur at seemingly random times, surprising us with their presence.  The first milestone I can remember occurred twelve years ago.  I stood before an imposing entrance to a frighteningly large elementary school, and I can recall feeling contrasting emotions of fear and excitement.  In a matter of moments, I would meet my classmates of tomorrow and start my formal journey of education.  Entering that building would obviously initiate Kindergarten, but it would also initiate the beginning of maturity, of growing up.  While I did not specifically know the latter fact at the time, I still felt aware of the magnitude.  That experience of immobility, standing still before my future and thinking about the life-altering events to come, perfectly encapsulates the same position I find myself in now as I prepare to graduate high school and enter college.  How do I want my college peers to view me next year?  What kind of impression do I want to leave in the minds of people I have never previously met before?  I have had quite some time to ponder these questions and I think the answer has relative simplicity.  While I consider myself to have changed considerably since my kindergarten self, I think my approach to interacting with others has not deviated.  I want others to see me as welcoming and accepting.  A whole world of people and culture exists outside the boundaries of Chagrin Falls, and I want to fully explore that world and take advantage of meeting unique people.   Therefore, I want others to think of me as genuine, sociable and eager to embrace novel experiences.  In my mind, the worst thing I can do in college consists of closing myself off to unfamiliar territory and associating myself with similar people.  Twelve years ago, a boy took those first steps.  He broke his torpor, held his head high, and walked into a new phase of life with a broad smile.  I look to his straightforward but bold actions for compelling guidance.

No comments:

Post a Comment